Founded in 1969, the Policlinico San Donato is a clinical-research-university hospital accredited by the Italian National Health Service. It is also a teaching hospital for the Degree Course in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Milan.
With a total of 430 beds, Policlinico San Donato is a patient-centered general hospital offering all the main specializations. It has one of the foremost cardiosurgery departments in Italy, and is a referral center for emergency admissions in cardiovascular surgery. Furthermore, it’s here where the highest number of cardiosurgery interventions in Italy are performed (> 1500 per year).
The hospital has 430 accredited beds, of which 45 are in the intensive care unit area, 152 in the surgery wards and 233 in the medical wards.
It operates 14 operating theaters, including four in the Multispecialist Area and five in the Cardiovascular Department.The hospital performs more cardiosurgery interventions (> 1500 per year) than anywhere else in the country.
The hospital has been accredited by the Italian Ministry of Health as a Scientific Institute for Research, Hospitalization and Health Care (IRCCS), specializing in the Study and Care of cardiovascular disease in adults and children.
IRCCS POLICLINICO SAN DONATO IN NUMBERS (2014)
- 36 clinical specialties
- 430 accredited beds
- 000 hospitalizations per year
- 000 surgical interventions per year
- About 1 million services delivered, both in outpatient and Emergency Room departments
- 000 patients
- 225 operators
- 10 high technology operating theaters
- 25 resident professors / university researchers
- 220 students / graduates
- Total IF 952,3
- 251 publications
- 200 research projects
The Italian National Health System delivers free, universal and sustainable healthcare to a population of 60 million people. It is widely recognized as one of the world’s best, and ranked second in the WHO’s last global rankings in 2000 for Quality, Accessibility and Cost-effectiveness. Bloomberg ranked it third behind Singapore and Hong Kong in 2014 for global efficiency.
Policlinic San Donato is part of the Gruppo San Donato (GSD) University & Research Hospitals, Italy’s leading private hospital group. Operating 18 hospitals with a total of more than 5,000 beds, GSD is one of the largest hospital groups in Europe, providing secondary, tertiary and quaternary care to the Italian National Health Service.
The Group is also one of the largest private contractors for healthcare in Italy, delivering health services in the form of acute admissions, rehabilitations, outpatient services, emergency room attendances and births to over 4 million individuals.
Policlinico San Donato has 430 accredited beds, of which 45 are in the intensive care unit area, 152 in the surgery wards and 233 in the medical wards. It operates 14 operating theaters, including four in the Multispecialist Area and five in the Cardiovascular Department.
IRCCS Policlinico San Donato has 14 highly specialized centers:
- “ Malan”Cardiovascular Center
- Alzheimer Evaluation Unit
- Multiple Sclerosis Center
- Hip Surgery Center
- Clinical Arrhythmology and Electrophysiology Center
- Hand and Lower Extremity Surgery Center
- Thoracic Aortic Diseases Research Center
- Cross-sectional Center for prevention, diagnosis and treatment of Tumors of the Gut
- Center for diagnosis and treatment of valvular heart diseases – Ultrasonography
- Center for therapy of Growth Hormone (GH) deficit in the adult
- Center for the esophageal diseases
- Center for the study of Neuromuscular Diseases – Referral Center for myotonic dystrophy
- Metabolisms Research Center
- Research Center for congenital heart diseases (CERCCA)
Cardiovascular Centre « E. Malan » Divisions:
The world-renowned Edmondo Malan Interdepartmental Center for Study and Treatment of Cardiovascular Diseases carries out cardio surgery, vascular surgery, interventional cardiology and hemodynamics procedures, as well as constantly striving to improve surgical and research outcomes in cardiovascular surgery.
Heart surgery I, Heart surgery II, Pediatric Heart surgery, Clinical Cardiology – Coronary Intensive Care, Cardiology and Electrophysiology, Cardiology and Hemodynamics, Pediatric Cardiology and Congenital Heart Disease in Adults, Vascular Surgery I, Vascular Surgery II, Post-Operative Intensive Care.
Policlinico San Donato offers a variety of specialist medical expertise, procedures and care, led by expert teams committed to high-quality, patient centered care:
Endocrinology and Diabetology, Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Oncology I, Oncology II, Pneumology.
The Surgical department of Policlinico San Donato treats patients with a wide variety of conditions, including the following specialties: General Surgery I, General Surgery II, Plastic Surgery, Orthopedics I, Orthopedics II, Orthopedics III, Intensive Care Unit, Traumatology, Urology.
As a major teaching hospital, education and research are at the forefront of the every day activities of the Policlinico San Donato. Research is carried out in the following area:
- Congenital pathologies of the heart and vessels
- Acute and chronic acquired pathologies of the heart and vessels
- Vascular surgery
- Electrocardiology – Electrophisiology
- Interventional Cardiology
- Instrumental Diagnostics
- Anesthetics – Reanimation and Extra-corporeal technologies
- Heart Failure – New Aspects of Pathophysiology and Clinical Relevance
- Predictive and Preventive Cardiovascular Medicine
- Biomolecular Research Line
The molecular cardiology, tissue engineering and stem cell research laboratories have shown especially promising results over recent years:
- Laboratory of Molecular Cardiology focused on the study of microRNA regulation and functioning in the cardiovascular diseases
- Laboratory of Tissue Engineering and Stem Cell-Based Research focused on biological and molecular strategies for cardiac tissue regeneration.