The Robert Debré Hospital is one of the latest entries to the “Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris” – AP-HP (Great Paris University Hospitals, the Parisian public group of hospitals, the first and largest European hospital center), and represents for activity and treated patients the first and largest Pediatric Hospital of the whole country. The Robert Debré Hospital is specialized in the management and treatment of all pediatric specialties and it is committed to the care and improvement of human life. In recognition of this commitment Robert Debré professionals deliver high quality, cost-effective healthcare for both women and children.
With an overall capacity of 475 hospital beds, 576 specialized physicians, 1,360 nurses and 330 administrative and non-medical staff, the “AH-AP Robert Debré Hopital” provides world-class clinical care and training, pioneering new research and treatments in partnership with others for the benefit of children in France and worldwide.
It counts 13 Surgery rooms, 7 hemodialisys stations, 1 MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) and 1 PET-CT scanner (Positron emission tomography–computed tomography).
Every year, over 40.000 patients are hospitalized and more than 150.000 consultations and visits are performed.
With nearly 80.000 pediatrics, obstretics and gynecologist emergency per year, the Robert Debré Hospital is specialized in monitoring high-risk pregnancies maternity and delivers more than 3,000 births per year.
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CERTIFICATIONS
Quality certification processes includes self-assessment and external-peer assessment processes to define with great accuracy the Hospital level of healthcare and research performances to establish high levels of standards and to implement the whole healthcare offer. Hospital’s management, staff, and all the departments and the health care offer have been certified by and through:
- HAS V2010 certification (Mars 2013) : http://www.has-sante.fr/portail/jcms/c_264465/fr/hopital-robert-debre-ap-hp
- European certification, UNI EN ISO 9001,
- European certification UNI EN ISO 15189 for medical laboratories,
- JACIE (Stem-Cell Transplantation Program)
- Certification EFI (European Federation of Immunology).
The Haute Autorité de santé (HAS) – or French National Authority for Health – is a not-government body. The HAS is an independent public body with financial autonomy whose goal is to bring together under a single roof a number of activities designed to improve the quality of patient care and to guarantee equity within the healthcare system
The “AP-HP Robert Debré” is certified according to the international standard UNI EN ISO 9001: 2008 and to ISO 15189 for medical laboratories. The purpose of these certifications are to ensure high quality care offers and patient management assess with great accuracy its level of healthcare and research performances as well as sets the requirements for quality and competence specifies the quality management system requirements particular to medical laboratories.
The “AP-HP Robert Debré Hospital” is certified according to the (JACIE) Joint Accreditation Committee-ISCT (International Society for Cellular Therapy) & EBMT (European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantatio) that promote high quality patient care and laboratory performance in haematopoietic stem cell collection, processing and transplantation centres through the development of global standards and an internationally recognized system of accreditation.
The European Federation for Immunogenetics (EFI) is a renowned association who sets standards and certify immunology-related laboratories within hospitals and research center. Thy therefore aim to: 1) to advance the development of Immunogenetics in Europe as a discipline of medicine and support research and training; and 2) to elaborate recommendations for standardization of techniques, quality control and criteria for accreditation and to support their implementations.
In the latest rankings of French Hospitals by the ‘Le Point’ magazine, the most important independent classification of Private and Public Health care institutions in France, Hôpital Robert-Debré was ranked in the top 50 hospitals in the country. It was also ranked highly in the following areas on a national base:
Treatments for the cancers:
- Leukemia in children and adolescents (3)
- Strabismus (14)
Bone and joint Surgery:
- Hands (17)
Urology / Gynecology:
- Testicular surgery (2)
- Epilepsy (8)
Head & neck:
- Tonsil (6)
Other medical specialities
- Pediatrics (2)
- Hormonal disease (11)
source: the leading French weekly newsmagazine Le Point’s “2017 FRENCH BEST PRIVATE HOSPITALS” (Le Point’s hospital ranking is an established and influential one and presents an annual report of France’s hospitals and health care providers.)
HEALTH SERVICES AND GLOBAL CARE TREATMENTS
The “Robert-Debré Hospital” is organized around five medical divisions which are organized into functional units, services and sectors:
- Surgery and Anesthesia
- Maternity and Gynecology
- Physiology, Pediatric Imaging and medical information
The Biology Division is organized in 3 sectors: 1) Biology-Mother and Baby sector; 2) Biology-Research sector; 3) Biology-Health products sector, namely the internal Pharmacy service.
The “Mother and Baby sector” performs the majority of conventional and specialized laboratory tests necessary for the diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of diseases regarding pregnant women, the fetus, newborns, infants, children and adolescents.
The “Research sector” is composed by the Clinical Pediatric Epidemiology Unit (CIC-EC), and by the Clinical Investigation Center (CIC).
SURGERY AND ANESTHESIA
The care services of the “Surgery and Anesthesia division” are specialized in all pediatric surgical specialties except cardiac surgery and neurosurgery.
Some of medical activities comprehend:
- Spinal surgery, neuro-orthopedics, hand surgery, and the assessment of motor-related disability;
- Neonatal surgery, laparoscopic surgery, urological surgery and kidney transplants, abdominal surgery, thoracic surgery, the treatment of neurogenic bladder and dysraphismes;
- The treatment of deafness (cochlear implants), laryngeal malformations surgery;
- Neonatal ophthalmic surgery, the orbito-nose-eyelid surgery, and strabismus surgery.
- Oral and Buccal surgery and plastic surgery.
- Continuous-care support Unit that treats patients undergoing serious illnesses and/or co-morbidities.
MATERNITY AND GYNECOLOGY
The medical activity of the “Maternity and Gynecology division” is organized along 4 main centers/departments:
- The multidisciplinary center for prenatal diagnosis and perinatal center of level III that are the pediatric reference centers for all of northern areas of Paris and of the “Ile-de-France” region;
- In conjunction with all other departments of the hospital, the Center for Prenatal Diagnosis provides pre- and post-natal medical support and surgery;
- Neonatology department and Neonatal reanimation department;
- Gynecology Surgery Department
The Pediatric medical division includes all pediatric clinical specialties that are divided into the following services:
- General Pediatric;
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit with a FU (Functional Unit) Monitoring sector and a FU for Pediatric SMUR (Service Mobile d’Urgence et de Réanimation/ Emergency Services);
- Neurology and Metabolic Diseases;
- Renal dialysis FU;
- Cardiology FU;
- Gastroenterology, Nutrition, Respiratory and Cystic Fibrosis units;
- Endocrinology Department;
- Psychopathology Unit.
PHYSIOLOGY, PEDIATRIC IMAGING AND MEDICAL INFORMATION
The “P2i division” (Physiology, Pediatric Imaging and Medical Information) is organized in 3 main Functional Units:
- Radio-pediatric emergencies functional unit
- Neuropeditric “Head and Neck” functional unit
- Fetal and Neonatal Imaging functional unit
The “Robert-Debré Hospital” has received, in 2012, the DHU accreditation (for promoting research oriented towards early CNS therapies. Project coordinator: Dr. Pierre Gressens).
The structures of clinical research include the “Clinical Plurithematic and Epidemiology Investigation Center” (CIC), and the URC (Clinical Research Unit) created in 2011. The CIC of the “Robert Debré Hospital” is the national coordinator of the Network of CIC pediatric and receives funding from the “National Center for Clinical Trials and Products” (CeNGEPS) to support research on pediatric medicine. The Pediatric URC of the “Robert Debré Hospital” carries out the missions of the AP-HP and promotes institutional research projects.
“AP-HP Robert Debré Hospital” supports clinical and fundamental research in all pediatric disciplines; distinguishing itself thanks for quality and number of its publications in renowned and specialized medical journals. Publications in 2013 were around 1,107, 8% of which were published in some of the most renowned and qualified scientific journals (Impact Factor exceeding 10). Since 2010 an increase of 424 publications was observed, underlining the consecration of the Hospital in reinforcing and implementing clinical and fundamental research. Among these publications, 115 (27%) had a physician and/or researcher first author contribution, and 76 (18%) has a last author contribution (project leader and promoter).